BECOME A ‘GREAT’ DANE FOSTER
Are you interested in becoming a foster but are on the fence? Are you concerned about working with rescue dogs whose backgrounds are often a mystery? At Dames Saving Dames (DSD), we have created an exclusive and innovative foster program to assist in the rehabilitation of our rescued Danes which leaves the organization free to focus on successful forever home placements. With DSD you will not only get to help save a dog, but you will also gain a wealth of knowledge and experience in setting up a successful foster experience as we help guide you through your rescue journey. Fosters are the crucial link between the surrender and successful adoption of our Great Danes. Though our GREAT Dane Foster Program we will help you, to help us and together, we will create many more ‘Happy Tail’ stories. We encourage you to become a foster and make the rescue experience a GREAT one!
Who is DSD Looking For? The most important step to saving animals is having amazing people on board with a passion for dogs and who are looking for a way to make an impact in the world of dog rescue. We are looking for individuals who are committed to doing what is best for their foster dogs in an effort to not just foster a dog, but to help save a dog through a committed rehabilitation process guided by DSD. Our goal is to not just rehome a dog, but to do what it takes to ensure that the dog is rehomed permanently and to end the rehoming cycle for that dog. To do this DSD has developed a unique program that is aimed at educating our fosters on how best to help each foster Dane that comes into their care to become behaviourally balanced, readying them for permanent adoption.
What is DSD’s Goal? Our aim is to rescue dogs with a 100% success rate. We want to help end the rehoming cycle by ensuring that a foster dog goes to his or her forever home on the first placement. To do this, we select surrendered Great Danes who we know can be helped, rehomed and loved for placement with our foster families. In addition we carefully pair our rescue Danes with our foster families to ensure a successful foster and rehabilitation experience. We also offer a guided 2 day training workshop to help our fosters learn how to properly foster their dogs for success.
We work as an organization to help our fosters by providing ample education, training and support throughout the foster experience to help you help the dog succeed.
Our intent is to make the foster experience a GREAT one for you and the Dane.
- Lifetime Support ~ We value our volunteer fosters and understand that fostering can have its highs and lows, so to ensure your success and that of your foster dog’s, our network of educated fosters are always available for support for any Great Dane in your care – foster, adopted, or otherwise.
- Extended Dog Support ~ We believe that to make your foster Dane’s experience truly successful, your other dogs must be onboard with the foster procedures too. We will help you with any of your other dog’s behaviours while you are fostering a DSD foster Dane as their happiness and well-being is just as import as your fosters..
- Networking Opportunities ~ DSD is a large community of volunteers, fosters, other rescue groups, dog lovers, trainers and health professionals that are happy to meet, discuss and collaborate on a variety of topics. One of the most important tools a foster family can have is continual contact with other dog foster volunteers and a network of support to help answer questions and provide hands on help when needed.
- Exclusive Access to DSD’s Unique Foster Workshop ~ DSD is proud to be able to provide access to a 2 day workshop lead a certified dog trainer. This experience will not only set you up for foster care success but also help you manage your owned dogs in the process by providing you with invaluable, theoretical and hands on training tools and experiences.
- Foster Meet-Ups and Training ~ DSD offers regular foster appreciation meet-ups and training opportunities for our fosters to participate in. These meetings will vary in topic and allow our fosters to educate themselves and participate thoroughly in the rehabilitation process.
The DSD Rescue difference is that we are dedicated to providing each and every one of our committed foster family’s with the tools and ongoing support required to successfully foster our rescue Great Danes. We are passionate about providing the best environment possible for our foster Danes to ensure a successful placement and a really GREAT Dane experience.
By joining the DSD family and completing the Foster Program workshop, each participant will have had an opportunity to network with other volunteer dog foster and ask questions of dog trainer and behaviourist Brad Harrod one-on-one which will continue after the workshop in our ‘closed’ Volunteer Foster Facebook group page. Still have questions? Visit our Fostering FAQ’s.
The DSD Foster Workshop ~ This foster workshop is a unique and exclusive clinic that makes up part of our ongoing animal care program here at DSD. Whether you already foster dogs, or are thinking about opening your heart and home temporarily to a Great Dane in need, we believe that clear guidelines and expectations add to our volunteers’ confidence and empowerment to handle any Great Dane DSD deems in need and deserving of your love and care.
Both new and experienced dog foster caregivers will benefit from joining our Foster Program Clinic which combines both theory and hands on practical experience workshop organized by Dames Saving Danes Rescue.
During the workshop, you can expect to learn important topics, such as:
- expectations of foster care;
- setting up your home and environment for foster success;
- recognizing and managing dog behavioural issues;
- managing meet and greets, with dogs, children and strangers;
- assessing potential adopters, both human and animal;
- assessing potential surrender intakes, just animal!
- how to create a well-balanced animal ready for adoption;
- theory, hands-on and a question and answer period
This workshop is a one of a kind opportunity to learn about the DSD foster care program, and also to gain valuable knowledge about dog behavior and training which can be applied to any of your dogs, fostered or owned, present or future.
How is DSD Helping to Save Lives? At DSD we are more than just a Rescue; we’re a GREAT Rescue! When you join the DSD Foster Program, you become more than just a foster, you become a GREAT foster. DSD focuses on teaching fosters how to be more than just dog lovers, but dog enthusiasts taking your passion for helping animals to the next level. When you join DSD you become educated on:
- What it means to truly impact a dog’s life;
- How to know and do what is always best for the dog;
- How to help a dog recover from past experiences; and
- How to ensure future Happy Tails.
Once a dog is surrendered to DSD, we need the help of tenacious and compassionate people to begin a journey of rehabilitation for a dog that has already been through so much. DSD is focused on building a network of GREAT fosters who can help us rehabilitate and rehome our Great Danes. Individually, we cannot make much of a difference, but together we are a strong organization and we can save many, which is why when you join DSD we will help you, help us, help them.
However rewarding and life-changing, fostering a dog is often an emotional experience that can ‘tug hard on our heart strings’, as saying goodbye is never easy. Yet, the moment your foster gets adopted signifies one of the happiest events in the dog rescue and foster care system—you have helped to forever change the life of a dog for the better and more often than not, a family too.
We invite you to visit our “Love. Learn. Let Go. REPEAT” section where we have comprised, from our very own experiences, some tips to help you and your heart with the transition from foster to adoption and letting go of your foster dog when the time comes.